Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Vacation Bible School

For the past 2 days I have been a crew leader for a group of 9 kids, ages 5 to 8. They are all so different and special in so many ways. I look at these innocent kids, and how happy they are to be at bible school, to be singing in a big room with the 250+ other kids there. They get so excited about the little things. Like receiving a small jungle animal every day to put in their drum they made in the craft room. They can't wait to get that little animal. The theme is Serengeti Trek and the whole church is decorated like a big jungle. There are over 100 volunteers to keep this program running. It is amazing what people will do for these kids. Some of the kids don't have parents who will do things like this, so it is a week for them to be made to feel special. They ARE special. Even the ones who don't listen, who don't stay in line, they are all special in some way and I have, in just 2 days, found a place in my heart for each one of them. I hope they can remember this week with fondness as they grow up and lose their childhood innocence. As a child I never was brought to church. I want to change that for my kids. I think I would have benefitted greatly from a church family. I think I would have made different choices in my life, I may have had more self esteem and just had that support in my life. I hope my kids will be active in church school, youth group and everything that goes along with having a big church family. I like the sense of belonging it instills in kids. We have 3 more days of bonding with these kids, then I may not see some of them again. (many kids at bible school don't attend the church or any church). I hope they remember me like I'll remember them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://bkjsrnfl.com/akbh/uuig.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://cttneuzt.com/hsiv/hjjg.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://bkjsrnfl.com/akbh/uuig.html | http://oybpdofr.com/kwwk/njbt.html