Sunday, December 31, 2006

Need your weight loss secrets!!!

I am determined to make 2007 my year. Even though my life is out of control much of the time, there is no need to ignore myself. I need to take care of myself, for me and for my children. What are your goals for 2007? What are your secrets to a healthy lifestyle??? What do you do to lose/maintain your weight. I am pretty good at losing, and I suck big time at maintaining. I need a lifestyle change, not a diet. My secrets for past success in losing weight are:
  • Plan what I eat/write it down
  • Keep track using WW points or calories
  • No snacking out of bags/boxes!!
  • Portion control!
  • Minimal sweets (when I start I can't stop!)
  • Drink tea when I feel hungry between meals
  • Eat 3 meals and one snack, no skipping meals
  • Don't undereat, I will binge if I am too hungry
  • Don't eat after dinner
  • Don't eat off kids plates!

I could use some eating out tips, as I am terrible at restaurants. I love food, I love the smells and tastes of food. If I am at a restaurant and faced with the low fat grilled chicken or the yummy buffalo chicken wrap I am going to chose the latter. Luckily we don't go out a lot, but I can gain a few pounds in one meal out, seriously!!! I also am bad in social situations. At parties, I am faced with so many good foods and I can't say no. I am SO bad at that. I love my food. I love all kinds of food. I love chips/salty food, sweets, snacks, meat, everything. I just can't have a lot of that kind of food in my house and I do pretty well at home it is other places that I break down. So, if you have any advice let me know!!!! I tell people that it is a miracle I am not very overweight I like food that much. I sometimes even say I have an obsession with it, and could very well become a binge eater if I let myself. I think at times in my life I have been.

Have a happy new year and stay safe! I am staying home with my family tonight and watching movies. We are getting lots of snow here, so it is very pretty! A nice way to bring in the new year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dieting/lifestyle overhaul is tricky stuff. Like you, I enjoy food. A lot. I also don't go out to eat much, but when I do I *TRY* (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to order from the appetizer menu. It's usually a better-sized portion than a meal. Or, if I order a meal, I remind myself that I don't have to eat the WHOLE thing and can take half home in a to-go box/bag. Mostly, though, if I'm being good in my everyday life then a splurge here and there (aka restaurant, party, etc.) is OK. Life should be ENJOYED, so live it up every once in awhile and then go back to being careful and sensible.

You're one better than me: you can lose it. I'm better at maintaining but can't seem to lose the 15-20 lbs I want to very easily. Stay put? Sure. Lose it? Tough!

Good luck! I think you're on the right track and if you can stick to it you should have no trouble reaching your goal.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck taking care of yourself and having the best year yet! I have found a great diet plan is somewhat of a diabetic diet with high protein and low carbs, no fruit high on the glycemic index, etc. You knwow my opinions on focusing too much on weight loss but here's to you finding a 'happy place' for yourself, weight-wise!