Tuesday, December 12, 2006

4 1/2 yr old separation anxiety

My very outgoing independent 4 1/2 yr old is having trouble separating lately. This is really hard for me because she has always loved new places and people, and I have never worried leaving her anywhere. Granted, I am a SAHM and with her a lot but she went to preschool all last year with no issues at all. She has also gone to church school since last year and MOPS all of this year so far. She goes on playdates and has had babysitters. She just started having issues after thanksgiving. She will get upset when the carpool comes and some tears will fall. She gets over it pretty quick but I still feel horrible. I try to reassure her and be confident saying goodbye but now I'm starting to get anxious about things we have planned that involve her separating. Tomorrow we have MOPS in the AM and preschool in the afternoon, and I have school at night so it will be a hard day. Anyone else have this issue with an older preschooler???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*touch wood* Nope, can't say that I do have this problem. T is down for doing just about anything, esp if it involves me leaving and letting her do it alone. She will sometimes look at me when I'm anxious about leaving and just say 'It's ok, Mom, you can go now!' BUT, I don't have to do sitters nearly as often as you have to now for school and I can see there would be a change if T went from having me all the time to not and having to get used to an ever-changing caregiver. I vote it's something that just might take some time and do your best to spend some one-on-one time with her doing fun stuff like making cookies or whatever. Good luck, I hope it gets better/easier! Are you officially on break yet, or what? :)