Thursday, April 03, 2008

JOB

Today I finally got a call for the job offer I've been waiting for since monday. I know, it was only 3 days but to wait for that call is hard!! I was fairly sure I would get the job but not positive. I did my preceptorship in this unit, but not a lot of experience in this area. Luckily they are in need of RN's and I was lucky enough to get an interview. It is in an emergency department, at a fairly busy hospital. It is in my hometown about 25 min away. It is a great unit, the people are really supportive and helpful. I am nervous as heck to start but that is not until July. I have 2 options for shifts:

1. Evenings 56 hr/pay period (2 weeks) so approx. 28 hr/week. 3pm-1130pm. Every other weekend.

2. Day/night 72 hr/pay period so about 36 hr/week (more than I wanted). 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am. Every 3rd weekend. 12 hr shifts are SO long!

My ideal job would be 8 hr shifts day/evening rotation every 3rd weekend. I would like to work about 28-32 hr a week. But as a new grad I can't be picky and was given these options. Things change quickly and new shifts will open up after I've been there a while and being internal I can get first dibs on those new openings.

I did not initially want an evening shift, due to missing kid stuff. However, I'm leaning that way just because the hours are less and I think I would handle it better physically and emotionally. I am not sure I'm ready to work 36 hr/week, 12 hr shifts, plus nights for some of them. That is a lot to take on. I can always pick up shifts if I want more money. The downside is that during the week I will not see the kids those days. However, it is only a couple days a week and I do that now with school in the evenings. I don't think I'd seem them much more working the 12 hr shifts due to it taking up the entire day. Hard call. The one thing I hate to pass up is the every 3rd weekend. That would be nice to have more weekends off. But that weekend I work would be basically total work. If I do evenings I have mornings at home on those weekend days.

Anyway, I feel lucky to have an offer. Many people are having trouble getting interviews. You know that nursing shortage, not really around here. I'm sure it will eventually be that way but it isn't right now. There are many new grads and hospitals can be picky. There are jobs but many just want you to have some experience. So, I really can't be picky about it. I have to get my foot in the door somewhere. I loved working emergency dept and I will see and do so much.

I'm still up and it is nearly midnight. I am so tired. J had a tough day. She had a fever of 101 and had to take antibiotics orally and drops in her ears. She also is taking tylenol when I can get her to. She did not eat much and was very tired and cranky all day. I eventually picked her up late afternoon and sat in the rocker recliner with her, holding her like I did when she was a baby. Within 5 minutes she was out, and slept nearly 3 hours. I held her almost half of that time and loved it. She is so long and big now but still just my baby.

I'm off to bed. I did some homework and prepared for our simulation weekend this saturday at school. I also have computer training for the new charting system at the hospital so I can make up my OB day that I missed due to being sick earlier this month. I have lots to do for school still, but am trying to take it one day at a time.

1 comment:

Charm Bracelet said...

Congrats on getting the job offer!! I hope you can pick a schedule that suits you best. I'm sure you will get used to the hours once you settle in.