Thursday, October 05, 2006

Why can't I go to bed?

For one, my husband is gone and I have trouble going to bed alone. Second, I seem to get a burst of energy around 10 or 11 pm. I rarely go to bed before midnight. I think my body is doing this now that I stay up later to study etc. I am so tired in the morning though. My sleep is restless. I have so much going through my mind. So many things that have to be done. I have my school work, kids school stuff, fundraisers, lunches to pack, snacks to pack, clothes to pick out, garbage to take out, laundry to put away, bathrooms to clean, shopping to do. It is never ending. I like the busy life I lead, but sometimes it is really hard to shut off my mind to sleep. This is a problem that has just started in the last couple years. I always used to sleep great. Now, I am lucky to sleep more than 2 to 3 hr at a time. I will hear a noise, or just wake up for some unknown reason and lay there. I am not anxious. I am not one to stress out about things. I am pretty easy going. But I do sometimes have a hard time relaxing. And it is worse when I'm alone. I guess I get more nervous. I always set the alarm system, which helps, but I still hate the stillness and quiet of the house. Tonight I watched all my favorite shows. It is my indulgence. I put J to bed before 7pm and let B stay up to watch Survivor with me. I had them take a bath early around 6pm, brush teeth, and read extra books so that I'd be all ready by the time my shows came on. I think I read 6 books tonight just because I made the time to do it!! That is one thing I love doing with the kids. Anyway, had J asleep by 7, she was so tired. I sent B up to bed at 8 but of course he stayed up there tossing another hour (he has trouble falling asleep too!) . I then watched Grey's Anatomy (love that show!) and ER. ER was just ok. I then got out my book and have been reading/taking notes on supporting respiratory function. Fun stuff! It is the longest chapter ever. I have found that you really need to read/study everything because they do not cover everything in class that you need to know. I am trying to get an early start on my reading for my next test which isn't until November 13. Weird how they schedule so many tests early on then give us such a big break. Maybe because we start clinicals soon and we have to prepare for that?? Anyway, I am going to try to sleep very soon. It is so hard to wake up. J comes in about 7am every day so then I have about another half hour to lay around until I have to get up, shower, get the kids clothes on, comb their hair, make B's lunch and snack, get his bag packed and ready, feed them breakfast and get them out the door. I could probably so some of it the night before but I usually have plenty of time. I then get one kid off to school, and still have one here with me (she has preschool 3 days a week in the afternoons). We sometimes will do an errand, but usually we hang out here. We will most likely do some cleaning, and I may have to babysit a neighbor's daughter while she goes to the doctor. I have classes both Sat and Sun and we may go out after the kids are asleep on Sat night to see a band play at the local Oktoberfest. I don't want to be out late but we will probably go for a few hours. I got a sitter lined up. It is now 11:30 and I'm really going to try to sleep. Good night!

1 comment:

me said...

Ugh, I hate when I can't sleep! I vote for maybe some allergy meds or something so you can get at least one good night of sleep a week and then muddle through the rest!? Good luck finding something that works! Glad to hear you had a night of 'you' to enjoy your fave shows! Enjoy your date night, it's Oktoberfest here this weekend as well! :)