Thursday, May 18, 2006

How Other People Parent

I know it should not affect me how others parent their children. It really is none of my business and I shouldn't let it get to me. However, there is a situation on B's soccer team that really drives me nuts. Maybe I'm crazy but it does. There is this one player, N, who refuses to play. Flat out will not go out there and play at all. They have had 2 practices and 2 games so far and he will not participate. These are 5 and 6 year olds. He is 5 I think. Going into kindergarten. Anyway, at the game last night I was observing how his parents react to him and it was a total control game. They would basically beg him to play "come on buddy, let's give it a try, come on it will be fun" and he would stubbornly sit on the side and refuse. At that point, maybe it's just me, but I would be leaving. I would not be begging my child to play. I would not be playing that game. If he won't play, then he doesn't get to stay and he definately does NOT get the treat at the end of the game. (each player takes a turn bringing treats and drinks). Well, N did get the treat and had a big smile after the game. This also makes me mad because each team only has 8 kids, and 4 are out at at time. Last night only 6 kids showed up so since N would not play, they only had 1 sub. So, the kids had to play basically the whole game. Not a huge deal, but they get tired. They are only 5 and 6 years old and they need a break. It just really got to me, the way he just sat there gloating because he was winning the battle. His parents were totally kissing his butt the entire time. I would be so mad if I brought my kid to soccer to watch him, and he would not play at all. And it's not like he is really shy or has something wrong with him. The few times he has participated in practice (with daddy practially holding his hand) he has been able to kick the ball and run. He does not seem to be shy or anything. He just will not play. So, there isn't anything I can do. I want to say why are you letting him do this? Have you thought about leaving the game and not letting him have a reward for not playing? But I won't because I can't say anything. I want to believe me, but I won't. I will have to bite my tongue and try to understand. I truly think if I were in the same situation I would not just sit there begging him to play. I think I truly would leave. But I am not in that situation. The mom says he is the oldest and he isn't used to doing things like this. Well, B is my oldest so that is no excuse. I feel so bad for this kids kindergarten teacher. If he is like this for soccer, which is FUN and playing with other kids, what will he be like when mommy and daddy aren't there to save him when he really has to do something?? Hopefully, venting here will help me let this go!

No comments: