Thursday, January 20, 2011

Love the Fight




I can't believe I'm a wrestling mom. I grew up in a hockey household, with 2 younger brothers. I had very little exposure to wrestling growing up. I knew a couple of wrestlers in high school, and I know they ate very little and never had much energy. I am praying Bret never has to cut weight. I have been a wrestling mom for going on 6 years now. It pretty much takes over our lives from Nov-March, and he has other thing (camps, practices, etc) pretty much year round. He is the hardest worker I know, he never complains and asks every weekend to go to tournaments. He is very competitive and works hard to win. He does not always win, which is a good lesson, but hard for him. He knows that he has to practice hard to be a good wrestler, and I admire his determination. It is difficult for kids these days, they have to pick a sport and put everything into that sport. They will fall behind if they don't, which is too bad. Kids no longer play a sport for just that season (baseball in spring for example). They have to go to year round camps and training to be good enough to keep playing. And even then, with the big schools, they might not make the high school team someday. I like wrestling because it really teaches you to be disciplined. It also teaches kids to work hard, be a good sport, and I think that being on the wrestling team will help Bret in life forever. We love his coach Vic, and we are sad this is his last year in youth wrestling (next year will be on the middle school team). I looked at his team pictures this year, and there he was, in the back row. He is one of the "big kids" this year, after I always saw him as the "little kid". He is the oldest. 6 years, in a blink of an eye. My little tough guy, is growing up. He is almost a little man now. Some things he does and says are no longer "boy". He is more than I ever hoped for. I am so proud of him, and I love him more every day!!!

No comments: