Saturday, December 01, 2007

The tree is up and won something

We finally got our decorations out, including the fake tree. Unfortunately we aren't getting a real tree this year, for a few reasons.
#1 - we are trying to cut down on spending, and real trees are $40 at the least
#2 - we are leaving within a few days of Christmas on a road trip (12 hr) to see my new nephew, brother and sister in law
#3 - we have a fake tree and haven't used it in the past 5 years at least
I was a little discouraged that I didn't get my real tree. I love the smell of a real tree. But after I got over it, I realized it looks pretty good and whether or not I have a real tree won't really change Christmas for anyone involved. Plus, the brances are strong enough to hold all of our heavy ornaments, so that is a plus. I decorated the house as much as I'm going to this year. Some years I go all out (non-nursing school years) and others I do simple but still festive. I did teh tree, mantle and a few other odds and ends. The kids collect nutcrackers so we proudly display them each year, adding at least 1 new one per kids every year. We have a total of 8 this year. I usually let them pick a new one out AFTER Christmas when they are 50% off. J even has some girly ones, a princess and a girl holding a doll nutcracker. So cute. B loves the big ones wearing their fancy costumes. We saw the neatest one dressed in army camoflauge. But it was $12.99 so we passed and hope it will be on clearance later.

Anyway I must be going but I have to add that I won a drawing at a purse party I went to last night and won a free handbag!! I had gone to the open house to buy my mom a handbag for her birthday. I wanted so badly to buy one (or more) for myself, but I didn't. I held back due to a conversation with DH about finances. I had 2 that I really loved but was proud I didn't give in to the temptation. I got my mom a nice conservative black purse that she seemed to really like. As I left the host had me fill out my name on a sheet for a drawing for a free purse. To tell you the truth I don't really remember what the purse looked like but the hostess assures me it is cute. I can't believe I won. I told DH that it is good I didn't buy anything because I would have felt guilty if I bought one then won one also! So, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it. I already have 2 knockoff purses that I really use a lot.

The snow has been falling all day. It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.

No comments: