Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The christmas present dilema

I love to buy presents. Not just for my kids, but for my family and friends too. But especially the kids. I love finding that one (or 2 or 3) thing that really want and watching them open it and be so excited. I love going to the store and finding something for someone that I know they will love. However, I really never know when to stop. How many gifts should a 5 and 7 yr old receive? I don't think I typically go overboard. My parents buy them one nice gift (or 2). Their other grandma buys them a couple nice gifts. Then I get them a couple from us and a couple from santa and some small games/stocking stuffers/DVD's. Every year I tend to think I'm getting them too much. That is isn't needed. How do you know??? I remember running into a mom I know from B's school last year at the store, she was alone doing her christmas shopping. Granted, she has 3 kids but her cart was FULL to the brim. Loaded with toys, games, DVD's, books. She had so much stuff in there I was a little shocked. But maybe that is typical. Then I have a good friend who buys her boys one big thing from her and her husband, and one big thing from Santa. That's it. This year they will get a WII from them, and a WII game and controllers from Santa. Typically it is something big like a video game system or big toy they have been eyeing all year. However, I know she buys the kids things year round and I tend not to do that unless my kids have money they have earned or received from someone. I do not give them money just to buy toys. Yes, I buy them a small thing here and there (jewerly, lip gloss, trading cards, $1 items) but I would never buy them a new doll or a lego set for no reason. So, how much do you buy your kids for the holidays and how much is too much? We do many other activities related to christmas that are not gift related. We donate to families in need, do a shoebox for a child in need, make lots of christmas crafts and treats, buy special gifts for other family members, decorate, advent calendar, church activities etc etc. So, I'm not really worried about the presents being the main focus but I do sometimes worry about how much is too much. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much but I do. I don't want my kids to be spoiled, even though it seems inevitable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're like your friend. One big item from Santa, one big item (or group of related items: last year it was ice skating outfits, blade covers, etc) from us. Then a few stocking stuffers and maybe one or two more little things from us. We buy little things here and there year-round and they get one or two big gifts for their birthdays. But that's it. I'm not at all into quantity, I'm into quality. And not just of things but of experiences. I love our quiet Christmas mornings where we all open presents for probably less than an hour and then play with them, hang out while breakfast is cooking. Aaaaah, simplicity! Bliss!